Tart cranberries and sweet apricots compliment wheat flour in these whole wheat muffins while zucchini adds moisture. They make a great choice for the morning or a healthy addition for brunch.
This post may contain affiliate links to items I get a commission on if purchased. I link items that are what I personally use or is a close to it as possible.
whole wheat muffin ingredients
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 zucchini shredded
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/2 cup melted butter
1 3/4 cups buttermilk
making the muffins
In a large bowl, add all the dry ingredients, the sugar, zucchini and dried fruits. Stir to coat the zucchini and fruit in flour; this will make sure they stay evenly spread out in the muffin during baking.
Add the egg, butter and half of the buttermilk. Give it a few stirs, being sure to scoop around the edges and the bottom to bring up the dry bits. This will help you see how much more liquid you need so your batter doesn’t end up too runny. Whole wheat flour will soak up more moisture so I will let the batter be a bit more runny so the muffins don’t turn out dry. Just be sure not to over mix or the muffins will be rubbery and dense.
baking whole wheat muffins
Scoop muffin batter into a muffin tin with liners or oiled pretty good. This recipe will make 12 large muffins. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until a little golden on top and a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
whole wheat muffin flavor combos
Try these flavor combinations to mix up your morning muffin choice!
♥ DARK CHOCOLATE ORANGE | chopped dark chocolate, zest and juice of one orange
♥ RUM RAISIN & PECAN | 1 cup of raisins soaked in rum overnight and then drained, 1 cup chopped pecans
♥ FIG & APPLE | 1 cup chopped dried figs, 1 apple peeled, cored and shredded or diced
Whole Wheat Muffins with Zucchini, Dried Cranberries and Apricots
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed optional
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 2 cups shredded zucchini or 1 med fresh zucchini shredded
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- preheat oven to 350 degrees and oil 12 large muffin cups
- put dry ingredients and sugar in a bowl and stir together
- add the zucchini and dried fruit and stir so that it is coated
- pour butter, eggs and half of buttermilk into mixture and give it a few stirs
- add the rest of the butter milk and stir until just combined. be careful not to over stir
- divide batter between all 12 muffin cups
- put in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until dry on top and it bounces back when you press with your finger
- pull out of oven and place on cooling rack. wait till muffins are completely cool before removing from pan
Did you make this recipe? Tag me on Instagram @dezthebakist
If you enjoy this recipe, or muffins in general, check out my other muffins below.
Switch out the citrus and make your own variation!
These gluten free muffins are so yummy. Add different berries to mix it up.