This is a chewy herb flatbread filled with herbs and a good amount of olive oil. Use on a cheese platter, with hummus, as a sandwich bread or on the side of a nice bowl of curry.
flatbread dough ingredients
3 cups bread flour (or all purpose)
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp yeast
2 tbsp honey
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary, thyme and parsley (or your choice of herbs)
1 cup water
My go to herbs for this bread are rosemary, thyme and parsley. I have also used oregano in this bread to give it an Italian touch that goes great with a week night pasta dish. You want about 2 tablespoons of chopped herbs.
A stand mixer with a dough hook makes this super easy but you could definitely hand mix and knead if you don’t have one. Also, I use bread flour for this recipe, but all purpose works just fine.
The herb flatbread dough is pretty simple. Put all ingredients except water in the bowl of your mixer and turn onto low. Get all that incorporated and then start adding your water. I stream it in and watch until the dough starts to come together and pull away from the sides of the bowl. Then you want it to mix for about 3-5 minutes. This dough can be a little sticky, so its ok if some sticks to the bottom of the bowl. Pull the dough out and put on a floured surface. Knead with a little flour until it isn’t sticky. Then shape into a ball and put in an oiled bowl, cover and let proof for 1-2 hours or until double.
shaping & baking herb flatbread
Once dough is doubled, pull out of bowl onto floured surface and cut into 4 pieces. Then flatten with your hands and spread out to a rough circular shape. Transfer to a pan lined with oiled parchment paper or silpat. Let them proof again for about 30 mins. Spread and flatten out again and let go another 30 mins. When ready put the flat bread into an oven preheated to 425. and bake for about 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Pull out of oven and using a spatula remove from pan and put on a cooling rack. Let cool a bit before eating but these are good warm.
- 3 cups bread flour (or all purpose)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary, thyme and parsley (or your choice of herbs)
- 1 cup water
- Put all ingredients except water in the bowl of a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment
- Start mixing on low and stream water in until the dough start to pull away from the sides of the bowl
- let mix for 3-5 minutes, if dough starts sticking to sides of bowl add a little flour at a time, If dough pulls completely off the bottom of bowl add a little water at a time. You want it to be sticking to the bottom of bowl a little.
- once done mixing pull out dough and knead with a little flour until no longer sticky then put dough into an oiled bowl, cover and let proof for 1-2 hours or until double
- when double, put dough on a lightly floured surface and divide into 4 pieces
- flatten each piece with the palm of your hand to a rough round shape.
- transfer to a baking sheet lined with oiled parchment paper, cover with a damp kitchen towel and let proof for 30 mins
- Flatten and spread dough out again, cover and let proof another 30 mins.
- Preheat oven to 425 while waiting
- when proofed, bake in oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown
- remove immediately from pan with a spatula and place on a cooling rack. let cool slightly before eating
There is the flatbread recipe for you! This is based on a naan recipe. I developed it when I was looking to replace our outsourced flatbread at my restaurant. We used it for sandwiches, paninis, breakfast sandwiches and as a side with salads. Now I like to include it on charcuterie or cheese platters when I have guests over or cater an event. I hope you enjoy this in your own home. Please tag me on Instagram @dezthebakist and show me pics of how you use the herb flatbread. enjoy! 🖤 dez
If you enjoy making breads at home try out these recipes as well!
Here are some items to help with this recipe