I love making my own spice mixes including this curry powder. You can use all pre-ground spices or buy whole and grind them yourself. I usually use a mixture of ground and whole depending on what I have on hand.
ingredients for homemade curry powder
4 tbsp cumin seeds (3 tbsp ground)
4 tbsp coriander seeds (3 tbsp ground)
1 tbsp green cardamom pods (2 tsp ground)
4 tbsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tbsp ground white pepper
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp cayenne
dry roast the whole spices
Dry roast any of the whole spices in a cast iron or heavy bottomed pan on med-high heat, stirring frequently. Let cool and then grind. I use a coffee grinder for grinding spices.
make the curry powder
If you are using all pre-gound spices, it is pretty easy to make this curry powder. I measure all the spices into a mason jar and stir or shake around (with lid) to mix it up. If you are dry roasting whole spices you can grind them together and then pour into the jar.
Homemade Curry Powder
- 4 tbsp cumin seeds (3 tbsp ground)
- 4 tbsp coriander seeds (3 tbsp ground)
- 1 tbsp green cardamom pods (2 tsp ground)
- 4 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp ground white pepper
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp cayenne
- If using the whole cumin, coriander and cardamom, heat a cast iron or heavy bottomed pan to med-high heat. Put the seeds in the pan and dry roast, stirring constantly for just a few minutes until fragrant. Pour out of pan onto a plate and let cool.
- After the seeds are cool, grind them in a coffee grinder till they are a fine powder.
- To make the powder mix, I measure all the spices into a mason jar and then put the lid on and shake around till combined. Be sure to let the dust powder settle before you open it 🙂
- Store in the jar in the cupboard for a few months.
If you make this, please tag me on Instagram @dezthebakist